Sunday 28 April 2013

Carpe Diem: Story Teller

We have been asked to write a Haibun for today. A Haibun is a "prosimetric  literary form that combines prose and haiku". Carpe Diem



I am Irish and my wife is First Nation's. This means that our children should be all time heavyweight storytellers. The Indigenous people where I live in British Columbia, Canada re called the Secwepemc (Shuswap) Nation, my wife's people. In general, the Shuswap People are great story tellers. In fact, they depended on their stories to keep their culture alive as they did not have other means to record their history. The Irish, on the other hand, did have recorded history but were too drunk for the most part to write anything down. So their story telling was equally important. It is my plan to post less but post better moving forward out of National Poetry Month - April. This will translate to allot more haibun and storytelling. I hope to do a god job and make our ancestors proud.

*******
language and culture
storytelling from the heart
irish indian

our storeys
gifts from ancestors
with our twist

land and people
connected by their stories
child's birthright


9 comments:

  1. My husband is Irish-Metis. Both of his parents were wonderful story tellers. I really enjoyed this, thank-you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh cool yes my kids are irish native. Glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. I have Irish and Cherokee in me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I can understand this... storytelling is so important.. and I love to read more from you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "land and people connected by their stories". Such a beautiful expression. It says all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my grandparents were illiterate immigrants from Sicily, and they were great storytellers too....(Now I know that some of it was bullshit!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful story Sam ... we must cheris our ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. seanachie/seanache. Irish for storyteller. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping for a visit. You comments are appreciated.