Sunday 28 April 2013

Carpe Diem: Awakening

Today the prompt is Awakening. Kristjaan explains on this site what awakening means to our Buddhist friends. 

"Bodhi in Buddhism is the understanding possessed by a Buddha regarding the nature of things. It is traditionally translated into English with the word enlightenment and literally means awakened. Bodhi is knowledge of the causal mechanism by which beings incarnate into material form and experience suffering." Carpe Diem

I'm no expert in Buddhism but I understand that the ultimate goal is enlightenment and that is described as the absence of suffering. I live in a Christian home and go to church and do all the things that Christians do (not all). None-the-less, I do appreciate Buddhism for the pure and very accessible spiritual belief that it is.

I have a saying: "the more I look at what Jesus, Buddha, Mohamed, Moses and the Indigenous spiritual leaders are saying the more convinced I am that they all went to the same high school." 

For instance, this Buddhist idea of "absence of suffering" the Bible talks about "Peace that surpasses all comprehension". As for awakening, well I don't think I have to explain the parallel here. 

I want to thank Carpe Diem for pointing out to me once again that there are far more similarities between people, cultures and even religions that we like to believe.  If we could learn to embrace this our World would be a much better place. 

I don't care who you are, we could all use a little "Bodhi!"

awakening
 suffering happens
absolute truth

awakening
suffering has causes
absolute truth

awakening
suffering can stop
absolute truth

peace beyond 
all comprehension
 suffering ceases

I can do all things 
through Christ who strengthens me
absolute truth

arguing about
religion causes suffering
absolute truth

loving our 
brothers and sisters
suffering ceases

Fear creates 
what only Love can cure
Love more fear less

6 comments:

  1. WOW This is awesome...great point ...love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this, well written and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post. I am stunned by what I hope is my truth soon. "peace beyond
    all comprehension suffering ceases". Bodhi...lack of suffering. You held my attention to read every word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well done ... this is a true way of Bodhi Sam ... there is so much more that binds all the different religions and spiritual thoughts. And ... as you said yourself ... if everyone had a little Bodhi than the world would be a little bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amicable and tranquil; great way to start the week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done, and as a Buddhist who grew up Christian I can say you seem to grasp it. Most Buddhists would hold that there is no separation between the two things--all is how it is perceived--and we all access the divine in many different ways. BTW love the yellow background today :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping for a visit. You comments are appreciated.